It’s no news that digital marketing is the way to promote your business in this digital era. Nowadays all users spend most of their time on Social Media and on the internet which has made companies turn their efforts and marketing strategies to these platforms as well. You get to see professional profiles of businesses on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. Wherever you go, you’ll find businesses and companies building their brand and notoriety online and offline to target all kind of users and that use hashtag tracking.
Hashtags are one of the recent technological and social media revolutions that helped A LOT of companies build a name for themselves and get more recognition. Before 2007, hashtags simply meant and referred to the # symbol. However, since Twitter began using them in 2007. It started referring to any word preceded by the symbol #. Hashtags first appeared to facilitate search results and narrow them for users. But now they’re one of the most important technics to raise social media awareness and to promote businesses. In fact, some hashtags trend quicker than others, and the more trendy it is, the more it helped the user reach more people.
There a lot of reasons for you to use hashtags, but here are three main ones:
- Increase in reach: with the right hashtags, you’ll be able to increase reach and awareness, especially if you use hashtag tracking to choose the right one.
- Build an online brand: Every brand uses hashtags related to them. For example, Oreo uses the hashtag #Oreo, Coca-cola uses the hashtag #Cocacola, you get the idea. Using hashtags related to your brand might help them get trendy and this way you’ll be able to quickly build a brand online.
- Attract the right clients and audience: Hashtags not only help your brand to grow online, but they also help you to attract the right audience. Those who search for the same hashtags you’re using will be more likely to become the right audience for you. This way you’ll raise natural organic traffic and they will be more loyal.
How to use a hashtag
Hashtags are quite useful as as was aforementioned, but now, how can you actually use hashtags and know which ones to use? Although hashtags are very effective, not every hashtag will get you the traffic and reach you’re looking for, that’s why using the right ones is key on every strategy.
So here are these 3 pieces of advice to help you choose the right hashtags:
- Check what your competitors are using: As a brand, you probably have so many competitors that are leveraging hashtags for their benefits as well. Maybe some even gained so many loyal followers and users just because of this tactic. If by reading this you’ve got one brand or two in mind who have great success on social media platforms, then you should use some of the same hashtags. This way you’ll be able to follow the same tactic that helps them succeed and use it for your benefit.
- Be specific in your hashtags: Sometimes when using hashtags, you might come across some that have more than 10M posts with them, these hashtags are probably too general, like #chocolate which has more than 70,4m posts. If you use this one your post will soon be engulfed by another one in a matter of seconds or minutes. This way, you should use specific hashtags that have a high search rate but don’t have that many posts being published every minute with them.
- Check what’s trending: These days, there a lot of things that quickly go on trend, and the more trendy it is the more people will be looking for it. So, if you’re looking for a way to attract more followers, then trendy hashtags are the way-to-go, look for what people are talking about and are searching for in each platform and which hashtags they use to refer to the trend, and use them when publishing a post. That way you’ll be up-to-date on what people are looking for and raise some modest and great reach out of it.
Choosing the right hashtag is a difficult task. After choosing the hashtag, you need to decide whether you are going to publish it on one social media platform or another. In this post, we will be focusing on the two main platforms which are widely used around the globe: Twitter and Instagram.
Twitter is certainly one of the first platforms to ever use hashtags and it certainly made a great success thanks to it. This has turned it into one of the best platforms out there where you can use hashtags and double your reach with them. Twitter enables its users to look for top posts using a specific hashtag which makes it a very good platform to leverage hashtags.
To make the best out of every post, you need to use only one or two hashtags that are 100% related to your message. If there’s a trend out there that’s related with your messaging then take advance of it and use it to extend your brand’s reach.
Instagram is probably one of the most used platforms over this last decade, especially now with the new option of IGTV and stories, Instagram is here to beat all competition. You can use hashtags in the caption of your post, in the comments, on your stories… so, basically, Instagram hashtags can be typed anywhere on Instagram. Since last year, you can even follow a hashtag that you like and see the updates and the new posts that keep showing up.
What’s even greater is the fact that Instagram gives you the possibility to use a lot of hashtags on your post, so you can use 0 to 30 hashtags which gives you more exposure and reach by targeting all these different but related hashtags. It is important to keep in mind that all those hashtags need to be related to your brand. If the 30 hashtags don’t seem enough for you, you can comment on your post with all the hashtags you want and find related to your post and even exceed 20 ones.
Hashtag tracking in 2019
Now that the importance and use of hashtags has become very obvious, it’s time to understand how to track them, but first, why should you track your hashtags? Hashtag tracking is certainly a practice that is still in the dark and that a lot of people ignore. Hashtag tracking enables you to find out which ones work best for you and which ones actually helped you gaining more audience and reach. By knowing which hashtags are working for you and which are not, you’ll be able to get rid of the useless ones and concentrate on the ones that bring users to your social media page and profile. With hashtag tracking, you’ll be able to find out the trendy and the most researched ones that will help you creating useful and effective campaigns with the data you’ve collected. Hashtag analysis makes you understand the level of interest and attitude of your Instagram or Twitter users which will help creating the most effective hashtag collection.
Analytics are important for any marketing and social media strategy, and hashtag analytics are no different, understanding the analytics means producing ads that are more effective. It’s very easy to produce useless marketing campaigns that cost a lot of money for nothing, so why not maximize their effectiveness the best you can? Creating a list of the most effective hashtags for each platform will help your ads, posts, stories and overall account find its way to the feed of thousands or even millions of people. For tracking websites, you’ll need tracking tools whether it’s apps or online websites, these tools will help you to track hashtags and understand them thoroughly with their highly detailed reports. Any professional marketer and social media manager knows this, which is why tracking tools are the most valuable asset for social media managers who focus on growth and raising reach. According to a report that was done by Demand metric and Netbase, it seems that 60% of 125 marketers use social media analytics tools for campaign tracking, this is why Topsy was very famous amongst marketers. This social media analytic tools was used for customer care, influencer ranking, product launch, and so many other things.
What is Topsy?
People who understand and understood the importance of tracking hashtags are probably familiar with Topsy. Topsy was one of the social media analytics tools that offer a comprehensive analysis of the hashtags you wanted to research. Whether you had a personal or a business account on Twitter, Topsy helped you to understand the hashtags that were trending and made social marketing campaigns more easy and effective. It allowed people to measure and analyze specific keywords and phrases, find out trending topics and terms related to what you’re looking for, understand your competitors and compare with them.
But as you may have noticed, we’re speaking about Topsy in the past tense, and that’s because it was shut down by non-other than Apple. In 2015, Apple bought Topsy for 200$ million dollars and shut it down without no prior notice and without anybody expecting it. Topsy was 8 years old when it suddenly died. After Apple owning it, users still don’t know why this sudden move was made by Apple. They were expecting large investments for Topsy and to make the tool even better than it was.
To this day, Apple still hasn’t reveal why it purchased Topsy nor why it shut it down. Topsy announced its dead on Twitter by saying “we’ve searched our last tweet”. It was shocking. Everybody took it hard and was shocked. The only solution left for them was to look for other social media analytics tools to substitute Topsy, because yes, it was good, and it was hard to substitute it.
Alternatives for Topsy
Although Topsy was good, there are now even better tools. It’s 2019 and certainly the technology and features that were offered by Topsy have being exceeded by a lot of analytic tools.
Tweet Binder is a great alternative for Topsy if you wish to conduct a thorough analytic of your hashtags. Tweet Binder is one of the few social media analytic tools that offers a free service for whoever wishes to search for hashtags on Twitter. The process is quite easy, doesn’t require a lot of hassle and the reports are very detailed. It allows any user to analyze hashtags, keywords, terms, accounts or a combination of those.
By using Tweet Binder’s free Twitter analytics you get a free report of up to 500 tweets from the last 7 days.If you don’t know how to use Tweet Binder, we’ve written so many articles on how to use our services in detail but we’ll share a few steps on how to use it with this article:
- The first thing you need to do is go to Tweet Binder home page, enter the hashtags you want to search on the search box and click create twitter report.
- If you haven’t signed in with a Twitter account, you will be asked to login with your Twitter account. (This is a mandatory step by Twitter).
- The seeking process will start automatically and your report will be displayed.
Free Twitter stats with Tweet Binder
- The data range of the report
- Number of analyzed tweets
- Typology of tweets
- Users that have sent tweets with the analyzed term
- The economic market value of our search
- Potential impression
- Ranking of most active and popular users
- Gallery of images
Instagram hashtag analytics
Tweet Binder also offers Instagram analytics for hashtags. This feature has not a free version but the paid version gives back a lot of stats.
- Total posts
- Type of posts ( photos and videos)
- Potential impacts and reach
- Total contributors
- Impact and reach related stats
- Economic stats
- Contributor ranking
- Media ranking
- Graphs representing the statistic of the hashtag
- Posts per contributor
- Hashtags ranking
Tweet Binder is a service trusted by many companies all around the globe for so many good reasons. It’s time for you to try it and let us know what you think.